Friday, March 11, 2016

#2 Movie Making - Stop-Motion




I have long since been fascinated with stop-motion films. The first one I ever made was when I was in a high school art class. Then, we used a real film camera.  Today, we use digital cameras on portable devices and get instant feedback and the ability to start over as many times as is necessary.

When I taught Digital Media, I made a stop-motion film of a toy koala doing aerobics.  I posted it on YouTube to learn how to do that.  If you want to see it, here is the link:  https://youtu.be/3SOpxv1olXI.

Making stop-motion films is fun, but it is time-consuming.  It is also hard to do with an iPad unless you have a holder for it.  Trying to hold it still and move the pieces in a film makes for shaky video. It also takes a great deal of planning. Having a script is essential. Otherwise, your film can go "off the rails," so to speak.

In addition to having my students learn how to make stop-motion films in Digital Media, I have my freshmen make them in English 9.  We read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.  I have my students create a stop-motion scene from the book. They import the film into iMovie and add narration. The example I show them is above and one I made.

The video below was made with Lego Movie.  The other films were made with Snap!







No comments:

Post a Comment