Saturday, February 13, 2016

Presentation Artifact

     PowerPoint is the de facto presentation application.  I learned to use it first. When Apple came out with Keynote, I switched to it.  It has more style.  Then I heard about Prezi.  I tried it, but I am such a linear thinker, it frustrated me. I enjoy watching a presentation made with it, though.
     The best tip I have for creating any presentation is make an outline.  You need a roadmap to know where you want to go.  That outline will include the words you want to write on each slide.  The next step is to create the slides and type the text. Finally, find graphics to go on your slides and put them into iPhoto.
     I teach English.  My students make presentations as an alternative to writing essays all the time.  In World Literature, I have my students create a visual essay on Don Quixote. We read the selections form the book and discuss them. Then they choose from among a list of themes.  After choosing a theme, they find quotes from the text that have that theme. They put these quotes on slides and explain them. Finally, they add graphics to illustrate them.  In English 9, we read A Night to Remember, which is an account of the sinking of the Titanic. I have my students choose a passenger and create a Keynote biography to present to the class.  I like to teach step-by-step. I have my students create a Keynote that teaches us how to do make or do something.  I have also used
Snapguide to do this.
     I am still working to make my assignments transformative.  These assignments hover around augmentation.  That tends to be the way with Keynotes, though one can add sound and film.

This is the link to the Poetic Language Presentation I created for this  assignment.



2 comments:

  1. I requested access - you will need to add me as a viewer :-)

    ReplyDelete