Thursday, February 4, 2016

LTSMiller Home Screen iPad

Being organized is part of my DNA.  My father started as an accountant. I became a librarian before becoming an English teacher.  I like my life orderly, despite my creative side.

I have an iPad mini.  I made the background for the home screen. I took a picture of some icy snow one winter. I used Remix and Alien Sky to make it look like a scene from space.  I use it as my background because it is artistic, but because it doesn’t overpower the icons for the apps.

There are several apps and web links I use daily.  They tend to be the apps that are not in folders.That makes them easier to spot.  I made one for this course, so I wouldn’t have to look it up each time.  The others apps are in folders.  They are of like mind. I read newspapers and check the weather more than once a day. Since I read more than one newspaper and view more than one weather app, I put them in their own folders.

I  put Dropbox and Mail in the app bar at the bottom of the screen, because I use them multiple times a day.  I usually have the AppStore on page two because I find the red update badges irritating, butI put it on this screen for aesthetic purposes.  That is, it looked more balanced.  I have the settings icon on the bar because  I don’t want to have to look for it when I need it.  I usually need it when something goes wrong, so I don’t want the added frustration of trying to find it.

I am not a big fan of the grid.  I would rather have clusters of icons.  I prefer my iPad in portrait mode and use the toggle to keep it locked.  However, there are times when I need landscape and I try to put apps in the corners. They tend to stay in the same relative position. That is one way I stay organized. 


  I haven’t really thought about teaching my students about how to organize their home screen. It’s such an individual thing.  I have told my colleagues that leaving so many loose files on their Mac screens can slow down their system. It also overwhelms me when I look at their screens. Less is more in my book and on my screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment