Saturday, February 20, 2016

Comic Artifact #1



English is all about communicating.  I use the standard read and write approach to studying literature, but I like to mix it up, too.  A comic app would give my students another way of expressing themselves.  
When we read "The Golden Kite, the Silver Wind, " I have my students retell this fable of the Cold War as a children's story. I could have them do it as a comic book.  This would be modification in the SAMR model.  
  I have used comic apps when teaching Digital Media. My students wrote a detective story. They acted out the story and took pictures. Then they put the pictures into a comic book app that made them look like cartoons. Finally, they added words.
The French teacher at school had her students make comic book. The point was to use French vocabulary.  It just makes learning more fun that memorizing new words by rote.  I could have my students do something similar, but with parts of speech or vocabulary related to poetry.
    



I  have my freshmen make comics about a super
hero after reading about Greek heroes. This
comic is about Odysseus. Some of the pictures
were "comicized" in the ComicBook! app
before I added them to this page from
ComicMaker.  I took all these pictures while
on summer vacations.



2 comments:

  1. Awesome tie to the curriculum. An FYI - the reflection piece is missing - "Share a minimum of 3 ideas on how you or your students could use comic app supported projects to enhance your curriculum. Include commentary about where at least 1 of these activities falls in the SAMR framework." If you update this to include this, just post the link
    http://ltsmiller16.blogspot.com/2016/02/comic-artifact.html
    In the Comic & Book Creation forum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added the following to the post:

    English is all about communicating. I use the standard read and write approach to studying literature, but I like to mix it up, too. A comic app would give my students another way of expressing themselves.
    When we read "The Golden Kite, the Silver Wind, " I have my students retell this fable of the Cold War as a children's story. I could have them do it as a comic book. This would be modification in the SAMR model.
    I have used comic apps when teaching Digital Media. My students wrote a detective story. They acted out the story and took pictures. Then they put the pictures into a comic book app that made them look like cartoons. Finally, they added words.
    The French teacher at school had her students make comic book. The point was to use French vocabulary. It just makes learning more fun that memorizing new words by rote.

    ReplyDelete