Sunday, February 21, 2016

Book Artifact #2

I have wanted to use iBooks Author with my English students. They can use it in the computer lab, but that means they cannot work on it at home.  Now that I know about BookCreator, they can use that to make ebooks.

I have my students write poetry. They can use these book creation apps to put them into collections.
They can add photos and sound to them.  In the SAMR model, this is augmentation.
That's the creative writing end of things. They can also use book creation apps to create chapters on school lessons, too. I can see students collaborating on a book with other classes. We could do a cross-curricular unit on the early 20th Century.  My American Literature students read Close to Shore, which is a novel about the 1916 shark attacks on the East Coast.  We could collaborate with history students to get create a book that has information on the shark attacks as well as the culture of the 19 teens and WWI. We could also work with science classes to put in information on sharks.

Finally, they can make books that we could share with elementary students. They could be on lessons that they learn in specific grades. In math, it might be orders of operations. In science, it might be the water cycle. In English, it could be how to write poetry.  It wouldn't just be cross-curricular, it would cross-school.



This is the cover of a book I started in  BookCreator.

This is the cover of the novel I wrote and made an iBook.

This is the first page of my novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment